Roadways and Traffic Operations: Construction Zones
Construction zones are dangerous places for the workers and for the public at large. There is potential for liability claims against municipalities if any third party is injured.
Examples of measures that can be taken to prevent liability in construction zones:
● Implementing procedures for flagging, traffic control, signs and barricades around road construction and repair sites
● Preparing construction zone procedures using industry guidelines such as the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Work site Traffic Accommodation Control Guide.
● Taking pictures of the construction sites and traffic deviation systems.
● Using appropriate barricades, signs and security precautions to keep unauthorized pedestrians and vehicles away from construction sites. (In the event of an accident, municipalities will be required to prove appropriate safety measures were in place.
● Contracting out repair functions to transfer liabilities from the municipality.